Anybody can throw down a bundle of cash to get glamour shots of their tequila and then throw down a similar bundle for a few thousand fake followers and Instagram Likes. But that won’t grow your business.
The best way to blow up your social media and prove that your brand is here to stay is with social proof (user generated content).
User generated content is anything about your brand that wasn’t created by you or your agency. You may see great value in the pay-for-play articles and advertorials, but consumers deserve more credit than you’re giving them.
They see through the bullshit.
The real value to your brand – the content that is going to make your product fly off shelves – is the things people say about your brand when they aren’t being asked (or paid) to say them.
Over 70% of Americans say they look at product reviews before making a purchase.
Anyone who is familiar with Tequila Aficionado knows that they don’t accept payment for reviews or awards. When Tequila Aficionado says your brand rocks, that’s social proof. You can’t buy a good review from Tequila Aficionado and the tasters there have tasted tens, if not hundreds, of brands. These are experienced palates. When they say your brand is good, it’s good. This is your social proof.
Some other examples of user generated content are:
- Articles/Blog Posts that mention you or your brand
- Pictures taken by fans of your brand
- Comments about your brand on social networks
- Social media posts by fans of your brand
Now I’m going to tell you something you should already know – but you’d be surprised how many don’t…
YOU SHOULD BE SHARING EVERY POSITIVE PIECE OF USER GENERATED CONTENT ABOUT YOUR BRAND!
Smart brands are always on the lookout for positive user generated content (it’s called Social Listening”) and they curate a list of every piece of positive content so they can draw on it for point of sale material and social media posts.
Yes, social media posts.
If you aren’t reposting those instagrams, retweeting those tweets or resharing those Facebook posts that fans create about your brand then you are half-assing your way out of business.
STOP THAT SHIT!
Here are a few ways to encourage people to create user-generated content for your brand:
- Retweet and share any content they produce in favor of your brand, and encourage others to do the same. Hashtags make this sort of thing easy to do. If you follow your hashtag on Instagram, you’ll always know when someone posts about your brand.
- Invite fans to take photos for your Instagram and even write content for your blog.
- Embed social media content from fans within your blog posts.
- Ask open-ended questions on your social networks and invite fans to join in the conversation.
- Launch a (user-generated content) contest on your social media platform of choice. Make sure you follow the rules of the platform, which generally rule out contests based entirely on number of shares or other native features.
The bottom line:
The best way to blow up your social media *in a good way* is to share all the positive user generated content you can find about your brand.
Google your brand, search for your brand name on Facebook and Instagram.
Sometimes fans forget to tag you, but you can still find those posts. Taking the time and effort to curate all of that good content is going to make the difference between bottles collecting dust and corks popping.
Get those corks popping!
If you don’t have the time to seek out, encourage, and curate user generated content to share on your social networks then you don’t have the time for social – and I’ve already explained how that’s bad for your business.
To find out how much user-generated content is out there about your brand, click the button below and get your free analysis now.